What Are AmberPax™ Collections?

Simply put, AmberPax™ Collections are groups of five stories centered around a specific theme. Each story within an AmberPax™ is released individually, on the same day as the others, and can be purchased separately, but these five stories can also be purchased as a single unit (the full AmberPax™) at a discount, currently 25%. Generally, an AmberPax™ is similar to an "anthology" of stories, but instead of the titles being released in only a single volume (file), they are also available individually. These AmberPax™ Collections are sold exclusively through our website and only in electronic format.

THIS BLOG is for news about the Pax Collections - follow it to keep up with releases, find early news of the upcoming collections, and share Pax fun and chat with the authors!

All Amber Paxes can be bought at Amber Quill HERE.

Tuesday 10 September 2013

Getting to Know Deirdre O'Dare

This month, we're introducing our readers to a few of our pax authors. First up in our getting to know you series...Deirdre O'Dare!

Why do you write?
It is both a joy and a compulsion. I’ve been writing ‘stuff’ since I could print the alphabet and make a wild stab at spelling phonetically. My parents were both writers of a sort, dad published and mom for her own pleasure so it always seemed a normal thing to do. Sharing with readers the stories that come to me is an incredible high.

What are you currently working on? What's it about?
I always have several WIPs in various stages going on. My most urgent is a story for the “Garage” Pax which will be out sometime in the first quarter of 2014. I have a reclusive mechanic and the man he has secretly admire and desired coming head to head and …well, no spoilers! I’ve also got a couple of stand alone Allure tales in the works, a sequel to my Workin’ on the Railroad and one about a wild lands firefighter pilot. I’m redoing one of my out of print Gwynn Morgan novels to republish and plugging slowly on two ‘family saga’ type books that have been on the back burner for more years than I care to admit! Both start in the early 1900s and run to near present day. 

Which writers inspire you? 
A mixed bag for sure. I would have to say Anya Seton at the top with Thomas Costain and Frank Yerby close behind. I grew up with Zane Grey and Louis L’Amour –still love “cowboys” --and fantasy/sci fi authors Marion Zimmer Bradley, Ursula LeGuin and C.J. Cherryh are long term faves. Oh, can’t forget Tony Hillerman either! Needless to say I read widely and almost constantly.

Have you written any other novels in collaboration with other writers?
Only one in my Gwynn Morgan persona with my late husband. We had planned more which his death rather cut short. The one is January Gets Her Gunn, a police procedural romance with Mundania at present. My husband had a long career in law enforcement and was also very interested in writing so it was a natural. We worked on January for some time and I finally finished it a couple of years after he passed.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just to see where an idea takes you?  
I am totally a pantster—the story just evolves. I have a vague idea of what the end should be but mostly I start with a character or two who pop into my mind suddenly and from that point on I simply take dictation as they tell me their story! I know it sounds weird but that’s my method! I suppose it works.

What makes you cry? 
Cruelty to children and animals and the horrible violence and hatreds that seem to fill our world today. 

What did you want to be when you grew up? 
A ‘cowgirl’ both rodeo and real life ranch type and a writer. I worked with horses a lot when I was young and wrote ‘ranch romances’ in steno notebooks all through high school! 

If your house were burning down, what would you take and why?
My dogs and the flash drive with my photos and documents on it.

What one thing (modern convenience) could you not live without? 
I have two things I really rely on—hot water for a daily shower which isn’t so modern really, but I have to have some way to play music and my computer without which I would have a heck of a time writing!! So electricity is necessary; I could probably do with a generator and live off the grid, though.

And finally, how can readers discover more about you and you work?
Website: (out of date!) www.deirdreodare.com & www.gwynnmorgan.com
Facebook: Gwynn Morgan 
Twitter: Deirdre_ODare

*_*_*

Don't forget that leaving a comment during the month of September puts you in the drawing for a $25 Amber Quill Press gift certificate!

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! I haven't read anything by Ms. O'Dare yet, but I'm always looking for new books and authors to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete