What Are AmberPax™ Collections?

Simply put, AmberPax™ Collections are groups of five stories centered around a specific theme. Each story within an AmberPax™ is released individually, on the same day as the others, and can be purchased separately, but these five stories can also be purchased as a single unit (the full AmberPax™) at a discount, currently 25%. Generally, an AmberPax™ is similar to an "anthology" of stories, but instead of the titles being released in only a single volume (file), they are also available individually. These AmberPax™ Collections are sold exclusively through our website and only in electronic format.

THIS BLOG is for news about the Pax Collections - follow it to keep up with releases, find early news of the upcoming collections, and share Pax fun and chat with the authors!

All Amber Paxes can be bought at Amber Quill HERE.

Monday 10 November 2014

Crazy Cat Guy by Heidi Champa

Jacob Danby loves cats. He makes room in his home and heart for seven of them, all strays and rescues. Unfortunately, his lawyer ex-boyfriend, Owen, didn’t share the same affinity for the pitter-patter of cat paws. When Owen presented Jacob with an ultimatum, the cats or their relationship, Jacob had no choice but to pick his pets.

When Jacob finds out that having so many cats puts him in violation of a town ordinance, he reluctantly turns to Owen for legal help. Can Jacob find a way to trust Owen again, or will his pride cost him more than just his beloved cats?

Genres: Gay/Contemporary
Heat Level: 3
Length: Extended Amber Kiss (13k words) 


Read a short excerpt...


...Owen’s smile turned my heart over and I had to look away. My eyes fixed on the television, which I’d forgotten to turn off. It was muted, but it gave me something to focus on that wasn’t my ex-boyfriend.

“One of the things I love about you, Jake. Your sense of humor.”

His words were like salt on my wounds, yet another reminder of all I’d been forced to give up. I had to change the subject…and fast. Shuffling a few inches away from him, I tried to get back to business. Picking up the paper he’d given me, I pretended to study it to give me something to do.

“Right. Anyway, so what’s the next step?”

Owen grabbed the sheet from me and set it aside.

“This,” he said.

And, before I could say another word, he kissed me. All good sense left me and I didn’t do the right thing. I didn’t stop him. As much as I knew I should, I just couldn’t. I missed him too much and it felt too good. My rational mind only returned when I felt something brush against my leg. My attention was stolen and when I looked, Hawk was staring up at me, his tail swaying slowly. I looked at Owen, expecting a scowl, but instead he reached down and gave Hawk a scratch behind the ears.

“I’m sorry, Owen. I have no idea how he got out, but the others won’t be far behind. I’ll be right back.”

I stood, but he yanked me by the wrist, his lips back on mine.

“Hurry back,” he said, his thumb tracing gently over my cheek.

I scooped up Hawk and by the time I got to the hall, as I suspected, the rest of the brood was starting to emerge. Getting them back inside took longer than it should have. They all thought it was some kind of game, running past me so I had to chase after them. Part of me was happy for the distraction, taking my time getting each of the cats back into the spare room. The situation in the living room was far more complicated than herding cats. I shut the door and when I turned around, Owen was standing there.

“I thought I’d see if you needed any help,” he said, as he leaned on the wall.

“No, I’m good. It’s all under control. I have no idea how they did that. God help me if they’ve learned to use doorknobs. I’m already outnumbered. I can’t have them being smarter than me, too.”

Owen chuckled before grabbing the front of my shirt and pulling me close.

“They always were so good at interrupting us. Some things never change, I guess.”

“Owen, I think—”

The rest of my sentence was stolen by his kiss, my back hitting the wall as he pressed against me. His fingers went to my buttons, getting two open before I stopped him, clutching his hands in mine.

“What’s wrong, Jake?”

My confusion rendered me silent for a few moments before I found the right words.

“Um, I guess I’m wondering what we’re doing?”

His fingers went back to work, and despite my logical brain screaming for me to see reason, I let him do it. After he was done with mine, he opened his crisp white shirt and pulled me to him.

“We’re kissing...”

No comments:

Post a Comment