What Are AmberPax™ Collections?

Simply put, AmberPax™ Collections are groups of five stories centered around a specific theme. Each story within an AmberPax™ is released individually, on the same day as the others, and can be purchased separately, but these five stories can also be purchased as a single unit (the full AmberPax™) at a discount, currently 25%. Generally, an AmberPax™ is similar to an "anthology" of stories, but instead of the titles being released in only a single volume (file), they are also available individually. These AmberPax™ Collections are sold exclusively through our website and only in electronic format.

THIS BLOG is for news about the Pax Collections - follow it to keep up with releases, find early news of the upcoming collections, and share Pax fun and chat with the authors!

All Amber Paxes can be bought at Amber Quill HERE.

Monday 17 June 2013

Against Type by Heidi Champa


A copyeditor for a pop culture blog called Scuttlebutt, Charlie “Fletch” Fletcher is content with his job, until screenwriter and film critic Adrian McGuire walks into Fletch’s life and disrupts everything. Well-known for being arrogant and pompous, Adrian wastes no time living up to his reputation while writing a column for the blog. After several rocky conversations, Fletch is happy to steer clear of the new arrival and stay out of the way of his insults. Until an email sent by Adrian that wasn’t meant for Fletch’s eyes changes everything between them.

It turns out, Adrian McGuire isn’t all he seems, and Fletch sees his chance to take the self-centered critic down a peg. When his plan backfires, Fletch finds himself working with his nemesis. And not only that, but when their angry friction explodes into equally fiery passion, Fletch discovers he’s unwittingly falling for the man who used to infuriate him.

Can Fletch and Adrian’s burgeoning relationship survive working together, or will all the secrets and lies tear them apart first? 


Genres: Gay/Contemporary/The Arts
Heat Level: 3
Length: Novella (21k words) 


Read a short excerpt...


...“Wow, this guy sounds like a real dick.”

“That’s one way to put it.”

My roommate Zach ordered another round of drinks, even though I was still only halfway through my first beer. As much as I wanted to get drunk, I couldn’t. Going out with Zach meant I always had to drive us home.

“I mean, the guy does have a way with words. I read his review on the site today. Very insightful.”

“Fuck you, Zach.”

“What? You know the guy knows what he’s talking about.”

“That’s no excuse for him to act like a total dick.”

“Sure it is. A little bit of power goes a long way to guys like this. You remember that guest professor we had in college. The one who’d written a million books on the Vietnam War. He was a total douche bag, too, but he was an expert. No arguing with that.”

“So, you’re saying I have to suck it up and deal with it?”

“Pretty much. You like your job, right?”

“Yeah.”

“And your boss thinks the sun shines out of this guy’s ass?”

“Pretty much.”

“Then, as much as it sucks, Fletch, you’ve got to do what the guy wants. Think of it this way…it’s less work for you.”

“I can’t help it. He rubs me the wrong way. Just because he wrote a couple of movies doesn’t mean his shit doesn’t stink.”

“Did you see the last one he wrote? The one with that hottie in it. That was a really good movie. In my opinion, anyway, even though everyone else hated it.”

“Who’s side are you on, man?”

“I would say yours, but you’re being kind of a whiny bitch right now.”

“So what if I am? I’ve listened to you go on and on about your job for years. The least you can do is put up with my shit.”

“I guess, but I’ve got other things on my mind tonight.”

“Oh, really? What’s that?”

“The new girl in my office—she’s gorgeous.”

“That settles it. She’s out of your league, Zach.”

“Screw you, Fletch. I have a better chance of getting the girl than you do of getting along with Adrian McGuire.”

“It’s not about getting along with him. It’s about not killing his arrogant ass.”

“Damn. I’ve never known you to have such a strong reaction to anyone. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say there was something else to this whole thing.”

“Like what?”

Zach looked past me toward the bar, and I knew without checking that he was trying to get the attention of a girl. When he finally dragged his attention back to me, he raised an eyebrow.

“Is this guy cute?”

“What?”

“You heard me. I mean, I’ve never really seen the guy. Is he cute?”

I thought of Adrian and couldn’t stop the heat it caused to build up under my collar.

“Yeah, he’s really good looking. And I get the feeling he knows it.”

“I see.”

“What the hell does that mean?”

“You’re attracted to this guy.”

“I am not.”

“Oh, really? Would you give one shit what this pompous douche thought if he weren’t hot?”

“I don’t care what Adrian McGuire thinks of me.”

“Sure you don’t. Whatever you say...” 

No comments:

Post a Comment